Today's dance item of choice was the Alarippu. It is the first item a Bharatanatyam student learns - as it really works your arm and leg muscles in preparation for future items and also helps you refine the neck movements and perfect the rhythm and timing.
I found a really nice video on Youtube and quickly learnt it. The last time I performed this was when I was in 6 years old or so, but I could remember most of the movements and the music for the footwork.
However, I felt completely spent after just a couple of rounds of dancing to it and I found myself crashing in heap on the floor when there are quick transitions from a full squat to full standing postures. Literally, the most basic item in Bharatanatyam brought me to my knees.
All that awesomeness I felt yesterday about my fitness levels was quick to evaporate. I guess it was the universe's way of telling me to keep it humble. Oh well - lesson well taken!
I persevered for about an hour, with little progress, but enjoyed every minute of being a humble student of dance!
418 more to go.
I found a really nice video on Youtube and quickly learnt it. The last time I performed this was when I was in 6 years old or so, but I could remember most of the movements and the music for the footwork.
However, I felt completely spent after just a couple of rounds of dancing to it and I found myself crashing in heap on the floor when there are quick transitions from a full squat to full standing postures. Literally, the most basic item in Bharatanatyam brought me to my knees.
All that awesomeness I felt yesterday about my fitness levels was quick to evaporate. I guess it was the universe's way of telling me to keep it humble. Oh well - lesson well taken!
I persevered for about an hour, with little progress, but enjoyed every minute of being a humble student of dance!
418 more to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment