The first scene in my film is considered dramatic. And it has no background score. And it has a quiet, indoor sound design. And it is pretty long.
What that basically led to was a ton of discussion around it. Should there be music? Should it be so quiet? If there is music, what sort of music? How can any music fit when the moods shift so quickly within a short span of time? Is it too art-y? Is it too slow? Etc. etc.
As the director, I have the unique privilege of taking the call on the final outcomes of such discussions. So based on the first draft of sound design and the first draft of background score we had, I decided no music. It simply didn't go. Not with the sound we had. Nope.
But was I completely satisfied with the scene? Not really.
Today, the sound designer who lives in Dubai, took a folly (live sound recording) from a similar setting as that in the scene and sent me the revised sound design.
Suddenly the scene felt very different. And the scene demanded music.
So I went back to the first draft of background score. That in its entirety absolutely didn't work, but after playing around with it - copy and pasting a few sequences here and there, suddenly it all fell into place. That last piece of the puzzle fell in oh-so-beautifully!
And to me, now, the scene just right.
Totally made my day, that.
403 more to go.
What that basically led to was a ton of discussion around it. Should there be music? Should it be so quiet? If there is music, what sort of music? How can any music fit when the moods shift so quickly within a short span of time? Is it too art-y? Is it too slow? Etc. etc.
As the director, I have the unique privilege of taking the call on the final outcomes of such discussions. So based on the first draft of sound design and the first draft of background score we had, I decided no music. It simply didn't go. Not with the sound we had. Nope.
But was I completely satisfied with the scene? Not really.
Today, the sound designer who lives in Dubai, took a folly (live sound recording) from a similar setting as that in the scene and sent me the revised sound design.
Suddenly the scene felt very different. And the scene demanded music.
So I went back to the first draft of background score. That in its entirety absolutely didn't work, but after playing around with it - copy and pasting a few sequences here and there, suddenly it all fell into place. That last piece of the puzzle fell in oh-so-beautifully!
And to me, now, the scene just right.
Totally made my day, that.
403 more to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment