After all the messy last minute deadlines at work and packing that never seem to end, we left for Bali! As always I gifted myself a few books from the airport bookstore, Madam helped herself to a couple of sticker, colouring and activity books and all of us, including our helper who is accompanying us this time, got some tea and juices to go before the flight.
The flight was pleasant - Madam slept through it, so I started on my first book - Shamini Flint's "Inspector Singh Investigates : A Curious Indian Cadaver", which turned out to be a light, engaging, fast paced entertainer. The husband and I also decided to start on the "sinful" part of the holiday and ordered some instant noodles in the flight.
Soon, we touched down at Bali and was welcomed by its new airport. I have been here twice before and the memory was that of a rather tiny airport but the new one is humungous and sparkling, in line with all the new airports these days. Immigration was quick & easy and we were picked up by our driver Ketut who took us to to our villa in Ubud.
We passed by the main streets of Ubud centre and I immediately fell in love with the line of quaint, cosy restaurants, boutiques and cafes on either sides of the narrow road. There is really a very nice, old world charm about this place! Soon we left the "centre" behind us and were heading more and more into the interior or "the village" as Ketut liked to call it. First came a few houses with the shrines at the entrance and then paddy field after paddy field (we guessed that's what it was since it was pitch dark outside and we couldn't make out a thing).
Soon we reached Inang Villa and what struck me first as we got out of the car was the change in sounds. There were no vehicles and no voices except our own. But there were a myriad of other sounds - that of crickets, frogs, birds, flowing water and the breeze. I glanced up at the sky and sure enough, there were more stars up there than we could ever see from Singapore . I decided then and there that this was a place I would be happy to stay in forever.
We checked in to our two bedroom unit - Madam was quick to pick "her room", enjoyed the lovely welcome drink, drove out a lizard who was hanging out in Madam's room, ordered some fried rice and fried noodles in for dinner, and tucked ourselves into our beds. As I snuggled up with my book, I was amused to hear roosters crowing in the middle of the night!
Needless to say, I slept a very happy sleep.
362 more to go.
The flight was pleasant - Madam slept through it, so I started on my first book - Shamini Flint's "Inspector Singh Investigates : A Curious Indian Cadaver", which turned out to be a light, engaging, fast paced entertainer. The husband and I also decided to start on the "sinful" part of the holiday and ordered some instant noodles in the flight.
Soon, we touched down at Bali and was welcomed by its new airport. I have been here twice before and the memory was that of a rather tiny airport but the new one is humungous and sparkling, in line with all the new airports these days. Immigration was quick & easy and we were picked up by our driver Ketut who took us to to our villa in Ubud.
We passed by the main streets of Ubud centre and I immediately fell in love with the line of quaint, cosy restaurants, boutiques and cafes on either sides of the narrow road. There is really a very nice, old world charm about this place! Soon we left the "centre" behind us and were heading more and more into the interior or "the village" as Ketut liked to call it. First came a few houses with the shrines at the entrance and then paddy field after paddy field (we guessed that's what it was since it was pitch dark outside and we couldn't make out a thing).
Soon we reached Inang Villa and what struck me first as we got out of the car was the change in sounds. There were no vehicles and no voices except our own. But there were a myriad of other sounds - that of crickets, frogs, birds, flowing water and the breeze. I glanced up at the sky and sure enough, there were more stars up there than we could ever see from Singapore . I decided then and there that this was a place I would be happy to stay in forever.
We checked in to our two bedroom unit - Madam was quick to pick "her room", enjoyed the lovely welcome drink, drove out a lizard who was hanging out in Madam's room, ordered some fried rice and fried noodles in for dinner, and tucked ourselves into our beds. As I snuggled up with my book, I was amused to hear roosters crowing in the middle of the night!
Needless to say, I slept a very happy sleep.
362 more to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment