Friday, July 8, 2016

Day 111 : Work, Bestie, Bollywood.

I could hardly get out of the bed this morning! The traffic and heat and humidity and the travel over the bumpy roads really get to you after a while. But then I keep reminding myself that I shouldn't be such an obnoxious NRI. 

So I got up, got breakfast and today, instead of going to Qlab, I decided to first visit my best friend from school who is now settled in Mumbai. We had been besties since I was 8 or 9 years old and the love continues strong till date! 

I spent a couple of hours with her, catching up, playing with her adorable little son, stuffing myself on the yummilicious tomato rice and tea that she made for me (she actually remembered that tomato rice used to be favourite during school days and how I used to happily lap it up whenever she brought it for her lunch). I hadn't met her in the last 3 years or so but it was like absolutely nothing had changed between us. In fact, we had so much fun that we even readily forgot to take a pic together! She and I could simply pick up where we left off and I finally left her with a rather heavy heart!

Then it was time for a visit to Jyoti to pick up another round of sound files and drop it at Qlab, even as he left for getting more foley work done. We travelled to Qlabs, only to realize that the sound designer Sinoy was on sick leave. Bummer. But we were pleasantly surprised to see that the colourist Biju had completed more than 40% of the full film already and I was quite pleased with the look of the film. I mean, now it actually looks like a film! 

I also got a chance to meet Amit, who owns Qlab and had a very interesting chat with him. He was evidently an expert in post production work and film making and is trained in various technical aspects like editing, cinematography, sound  and even direction. He also gave several insights into Bollywood - the good, the bad and the ugly. Sample this - there has been an instance where a director insisted on a fridge of a specific make and colour for a scene. Even though it was only in a passing shot. The crew suggested using just a mock sample but he wanted a brand new one of a specific brand. It appears in the film for 5 seconds or so. After which it was shipped to the director's own house for his personal use. Wow. 

After meeting with Amit,  I got some quick dinner (my pick was something called Triple Szechwan Fried Rice and am not quite sure why it is called that) and then hit the bed, full of gratitude for yet another day of being here in Mumbai, working on my film, meeting some excellent folks, and having a good break.

389 more to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment