About 60% of the DI of the film was completed today and we had a great review session with Biju. It was also a great learning session as we could see a lot of the issues from the shooting stage being brought over to the colouring stage and creating unique challenges. Like, how do you fix a scene which had a sandstorm in the background? I guess in a proper shoot, they would not shoot until the skies clear but then, we are hardly "proper". So well, colour correcting that has been tough and several details has been lost. Bummer. But the film looks good now and I felt pretty good about the whole thing.
Unfortunately Sinoy continued to be sick and was not available for the mix. But Jyoti stepped in as a savior and prepared the dry mix of all the elements - sound design, foley, dubs and soundtrack. So hopefully when Sinoy is back, it wouldnt take long to complete the final mix.
Which also meant that we had some free time, so the editor took me around a drive aroud Mumbai - Marine Drive, Juhu, Hanging Gardens (the Bhelpuri I had from here was terrific!) etc. My favourite, of course, was the skyline and ocean and the drive through and around the Bandra Worli Sealink. I had been to all these places before but every time I am here, I fall in love with these sights over and over again. There is so much character to this city!
We also went to the adorable Mt. Mary church and I was so fascinated to see the sale of candles in various shapes for offering at the church. This practice isn't unusual in India and we see tiny houses and cradles being offered in temples around the country when people want a home and a baby. But here they have taken it to another level - there are currency notes (for money, of course), self explanatory structures that say "office", cars, books (for education), legal notices (for winning legal battles!), and my favourite - "TV and movie star" wax models for the next generation stars. These wax models wait in huge baskets for someone to pick them up and offer them at the altar of Mt. Mary where they will melt away and be remolded to new shapes. It was like a basket full of dreams waiting to be realized. So sweet!
After a dinner of Crispy Schezwan Dosa (I am not sure why am ordering everything Schezwan these days, but it was yummy), I hit the bed like a pile of rocks. Touring around in Mumbai on the bumpy nonexistent roads in a tiny zen without a working aircon really does get to you. But then that makes the experience all the more special I guess!
Tomorrow is Sunday and Qlab is on holiday. I will be returning to Singapore on Tuesday, so I have only one more working day left in Mumbai and have my toes and fingers crossed for the completion of the film! Hoping for the best!
For today, am in love with the colours my film as taken and the colours of Mumbai.
388 more to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment